Yesterday you had explored your math and ELL teaching needs...with with the assistance of your ThinkingPartner and concluded developing a needs statement for your ThinkingPartner.

Today we began by first working with your ThinkingPartner, to clarify each other's needs statement. We played Yes-But, Yes-And and used that mindset to envision solutions to your partner's needs.

Ron's led his two sessions with Nicola acting as his ThinkingPartner in the morning, and Shawn his ThinkingPartner in the afternoon.

Please post:

1. The drafted prototype you developed for your ThinkingPartner, making sure to include the Needs Statement. Give some more thought to that prototype you shared with your ThinkingPartner...how could you refine it? 

Then come tomorrow prepared to design and develop that prototype, in form of a plan (you'll develop the plan tomorrow in class).

2. Read through your Daily Formative Self-Assessment you have completed until now (4 in total) for the Summer Institute. Describe the kinds of things you have been writing about. What patterns do you notice in your thinking as evidenced in your postings?

Views: 234

Replies to This Discussion

1. The drafted prototype you developed for your ThinkingPartner, making sure to include the Needs Statement. Give some more thought to that prototype you shared with your ThinkingPartner...how could you refine it? 

"I need a way to develop milestones for my students that help me to teach lessons that are in their zone of proximal development, and then create lessons that use what they know to master new concepts." 

I could refine it by narrowing down what types of new concepts I am trying to teach.  While our lesson is supposed to be in math, I see myself mainly teaching English as a foreign language in other countries.  So I would need to find concepts for the two.

2. Read through your Daily Formative Self-Assessment you have completed until now (4 in total) for the Summer Institute. Describe the kinds of things you have been writing about. What patterns do you notice in your thinking as evidenced in your postings?

I noticed I like to pay attention to quotes that are said that people may have not seen any importance in it.  I also read other postings, and try to say something different in part so people see a different point of view, but also so it's easier for me to respond to other postings.  Maybe I could use the words "Yes, and..." when replying to my peers.

1. Amy's need statement revised was
"Amy needs a way to set assumptions aside and utilize her students strengths to meet each individuals' needs."

I could narrow it down by defining why assumptions are made.
2. I have talked a lot about bridging my students knowledge they already have to utilize their own knowledge to teach them what a new task is.

Then come tomorrow prepared to design and develop that prototype, in form of a plan (you'll develop the plan tomorrow in class).

Ellis needs a way to practically and realistically implement these strategies into a real classroom as a new teacher.  We discussed many ideas of how to stay involved and connected with colleagues, mentors, teachers, professors, etc. as a resource for questions and advice.  Ellis can also take opportunities to enroll in more workshops or other chances to learn more.  Finally, he needs a way to organize and access all this knowledge other than from his memory.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that "knowing the starting point" is the one of the most important steps in teaching our students

I mentioned something along these lines almost every day and I remember it also being stressed in the workshop multiple times per day.  I think it is simple: the students cannot learn when they are not ready for and they will bored with being taught what they already know.  Although this may be simple to say and understand, I think it will be an ongoing practice to differentiate what I do in my classroom to tailor to each student's individual level. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Ralph Cordova.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service